Mystic Hot Springs Getaway (#13)



April is here.. which means BIRTHDAY MONTH!
Not just for me but for my girlfriend too – so we're celebrating all month long.
The first of four birthday weekends started with an epic day of skiing with the boys at Solitude Resort. It was a perfect day and I ended up with a perfectly windburned ski face (see last post for photos) and a skiers high that lasted well into the the night of hottubbing and Netflixing.

On Saturday morning we got up early, loaded the glamping set up into my car and drove 2.5 hours south to a tiny town called Monroe, Utah. Hang a left after the Family Dollar and you'll arrive at a truly magical place – Mystic Hot Springs.






I'm sure you've seen photos of it on Pinterest travel boards. The whole piece of land is a boiling hot spot. Porcelain bathtubs are built into the side of the hill where streams of natural hot springs flow down, filling the tubs with pure water and steam. It's incredible. At the very top, there are fenced off bubbling springs that get to a deadly 160 degrees! Downstream just a few yards, is where the perfectly sizzling baths are for soaking. Ever further down there is a bigger communal pool that is a more tolerable temperature. Be warned that these tubs have worn and eroded and grown into the mountainside. Nature is creeping over them. They are mossy and dirty and completely organic. Embrace it.




This land is also used for an annual Mystic HotSprings Music Festival. There is a great stage and grassy lawn. Cabins and camping areas. Even old-school further-esque busses decked out with beds and fabrics and heaters to cozy up in. The Mystic family has put so much work into this land. Not just sweat equity but also energy and community work. You can feel it everywhere you go. They want you to feel taken care of when you are there. The array of accommodations, kind people and real, actual indoor bathrooms and showers, it's hard to just stay for a soak. You'll want to stay the whole weekend.

The drive down flew by. We had Aj's puppy Daizey with us and she was quite mellow and cozy the whole time. As we arrived and pulled into our camping spot (an oval shaped grassy area next to the RV's with a view that overlooks the town of Monroe), I was pretty antsy from being in the car for so long. After a long drive, my body always feels like it has all this energy stored up that can't get out. Just the right kind of energy to set up the glamping situation. Because when you're car camping in a campsite for one night with one other person and a small dog, you might as well bring your entire bedroom.

I have this great big 12-person tent that my mother and sister gave to me. It's the perfect festival tent. I never fail to bring my prayer flags to create the vibe as well as all my extra yoga mats for the "front porch." Two big comforters and king size plush blanket are also a must to make this experience even more #hygge. The land here is so warm, I ditch the sleeping bag. We've got a pretty good sleeping foam pad but my next upgrade - air mattress. I also always bring a small night stand, my sun lamp (battery charged) and some things to paint with in case inspiration strikes.  Oh and I mean I shouldn't even have to mention is but of course my guitar comes. Lot's of fruits, vegetables, kombuchas, bread loaves and s'mores supplies also come. Camping is way more fun when you aren't nursing a hangover or sugar-crash. Aj has the greatest little tiny camping grill, we pick up our water from Water&Wellness in one of their 3-gallon spigots, bring a cooler, a few chairs and towels. Don't forget the bikinis and hats. All for a 48-hour getaway.


I felt a lot better once I felt my presence was established on the land. And ravenous. I tore open a loaf of sourdough bread, cut up and avocado and mashed it all together. As I swallowed down a bottle of kefir, Aj handed me some psychedelic mushrooms to finish off our lunch and begin our retreat. I munched 'em down with some trail mix. I felt content. The sun was out. I was sitting on a picnic table. We were at one of my very favorite places in Utah.

The rest of the afternoon looked like yoga, jamming with a kid in a traveling family reggae band, soaking alone in the tubs for hours, watching the sunset while letting the cool air dry our hot skin, grilling pinneapple, painting masterpieces, playing music, cuddling and falling asleep under the stars. I was awoken in the night by the intensely shining full moon above us. It seemed brighter than the sun that night. It lit up the entire tent. I felt I was receiving some sort of healing nutrient from the moon, like a night-time Vitamin D.






I woke right up the next morning to greet the day. It was still nice and cool and I wanted to go straight to the tubs. We got dressed and walked to the top and stopped for a quick Qi Gong practice. Aj led us in a warm up with a series of movements. We were completely alone up there. After we finished practicing we chose the hottest tub tucked away behind this tall rocky spring structure. I soaked my organs, bones and skin in the boiling earth water. Imagining that all ailments in my body are being steam cleaned out of me. That this healing water would make my body feel new. It was incredibly rejuvenating. Again we laid out in the sun and morning breeze to cool off. You certainly are not cold when you get out of these springs. The rest of the morning consisted of more yoga, breakfast, exploring, napping and meticulously packing the camp back up and putting it in the car before saying good-bye to our new friends and driving back up north for Easter dinner.

Every time I come back from Mystic Hot Springs, I feel revived in a way. Ready to return to the planet a more calm, collected, healthy and connected human.





Til' next time, Mystic Hot Springs... 
xo Jane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Real About My Spiritual Path

Here's What Happens When You Stop Eating (#11)

Your Meteor