Why Millennials Should Start Giving Back TODAY.



Right now is a really special time for those my age who are living the post-graduate life. Maybe we've got a salary-paying job with benefits,  finally enjoying the fruit of our labor with a little extra cash flow. Probably putting a lot of that into student loans. I write a lot about millennials and society's opinions on us and here is one of my favorites:
"Your generation wants to go to work to make a difference." - some old guy. 

Yep, that's us. The generation of compassionate giving-a-fuck. I think that our generation, for starters is more accepting of others, thanks to the internet showing us that there are tons of awesome people in this world and we need not be afraid of them. I also think that we witnessed the loss of material wealth in 2008 when the economy crumbled. A lot of people my age experienced impermanence of material goods first-hand. Some had to move into smaller homes, switch schools or stop taking dance classes. A lot of the things we had handed to us were taken away. Not because any one fucked up (well besides every meat-head on wall street), but because that is life. Anything can be taken away from you at any moment. I think that as millennials, we have a deeper understanding for that and we've grown to be more compassionate and giving then any other generation. 

So this is why I want to start a conversation about giving back. One of my favorite meditations that I have been taught is to ask yourself over and over again "What is important to me? What is important to me? What is important to me?" Don't look for answers, just keep asking yourself over and over as you meditate and wait for your inner voice to give you some hints. You may be amazed at what you find. I think that as millennials, we have the power to manifest a better world through our positive, compassionate energy. But we've also go to make actions to put those manifestations into motion. So, I'd like to know what my fellow millennials are doing to give back. Are you volunteering your time? Are you donating extra cash? Are you working in a field where you have the opportunity to pay it forward? 

Please, comment below and share with me what you do to give back. 

-- And if you've got nothing, don't sweat it. I'm writing this to inspire any one who reads it to think about how they can give back and how they can put that better world into real action- today. 

So, when I think about what matters most to me, I've got a pretty solid list thanks to my liberal environmentalist education. Along with that list are non-profit organizations that support said cause: 
1. Homeless Youth -- VOA Youth Resource Center
2. Environment -- Seven Canyons Trust
3. Arts -- MusicGarage.org
4. REAL Media -- Democracy Now!
5. Spirituality -- Urgyen Samten Ling Gonpa

Your list can be one thing, or lots of things. There are so many ways to give back, the bigger your list, the more opportunities you can create for yourself. I was inspired to finally publish this story because today is Giving Tuesday. I think it is such a great trend that has caught on year after year. After the consumerist splurging of black Friday, small business Saturday and cyber Monday, we all take a day to think about what organizations we want to give our extra cash to. As of today, I re-commit my extra cash flow to these organizations that not only have impacted my life personally but truly make the world a better place. 

To Volunteer or To Write a Check?

Doing something about the homeless LGBT youth population in this town has been a driving force of mine since I graduated college. I don't really have the money to make a huge difference for homeless youth. If I could, I would open up my own low-barrier shelter for homeless youth. Some day...
My point is, if you can't donate money or don't feel like a few bucks will make a difference, know that your time will. Giving your time to an organization is priceless. I decided to start volunteering at the Volunteers Of America Youth Resource Center. It took me a while (like 6 months) to get approved as a volunteer (finger printing, background checks and plain old bureaucracy) but I was so excited to finally begin. I started off at the front desk and after about six months, you could say I got a promotion. I started a weekly meditation group at the shelter. It can be the more challenging part of my week, but it is so important to me to keep on showing up with consistency. 


With everything else on my list, I commit to being as actively involved as possible when it comes time to show up - supporting art shows, activist marches, promoting spiritual centers. And for when I cannot, I GIVE THEM MONEY. It's not much. I don't have much, but I can always spare a few bucks. I watch Democracy Now! every single day of my life and pretty much want to be Amy Goodman. So, when she e-mails me asking for $8 to support her journalism, it's really hard to say no. And feels so good to click Yes!

Spreading the Wealth

I'm a firm believer in spreading the wealth. I grew up very privileged life with a lot of privileged friends and I think when you can recognize how blessed you've been, it makes it that much easier to give back. This year for Giving Tuesday, I gave to Seven Canyons Trust, MusicGarage.org, Democracy Now! and Urgyen Samten Ling Gonpa. I feel as though I've given my extra cash to organizations that really make an impact on my life. While I only donated a small portion of my paycheck to each place, I feel like this is the beginning of my life as a real philanthropist. It's like I am planting a seed in small organizations that I whole-heartedly believe in so that each year, maybe I can give a little more and continue watch that better world grow into fruition. 

So, my dearest fellow millennials, join me in giving back and showing every one who the best generation is. We've got so much love to give and there are so many ways to do it. Today I'm focused on fiscal donations and volunteering time but I hope to explore more ways of giving back as I grow into my career and myself as an activist. Thank you for taking this journey with me. May our lives be filled with abundance and wealth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Real About My Spiritual Path

Here's What Happens When You Stop Eating (#11)

Your Meteor